Netivat Sofrut: diary of a Soferet

Adventures of a female sofer learning to heal the world by doing Holy Work...writing a Sefer Torah

נחזיר את השכינה למקומה בצייון ובתבל כלה

"Let us restore the Divine In-Dwelling to Her Place in Zion & infuse Her spirit throughout the whole inhabited world."

So wherever we are, let us bring the Peace of G@d's Presence.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vancouver/London, British Columbia/UK, Canada

SCRIBAL EVANGELIST As the only living certified Soferet (סופרת - female Jewish ritual scribe) & the first woman to practice sofrut (creation of sacred Hebrew texts) in over 200 years, I feel an obligation to blog about my experiences of The Work. I am also currently researching the foundation of a lost tradtion of women practicing this holy craft. For more on the services I provide, please see Soferet.com; Sofrut Nation. I am now available to engage with students, male or female, wishing to enter into the preliminary stage of learning sofrut. You are welcome to join me on this path. "Tzedeq, tzedeq tir'dof - Justice, justice you shall pursue." Devarim/Deuteronomy 16:20.

Wednesday, September 17, 2003

B"H

FEAR & VULNERABILITY

Sunday, September 7th

My homework was awful today!
I'm really dissatisfied with my lettering. I mean, I've got the forms, but sometimes a letter or two will start getting inconsistant as my hand tires & it's *so* frusterating. & my spacing needs work. Basically, I'm a perfectionist experiencing The Long Dark Night Of The Soul, so it's Hell. Actually, catching a flick in Hell would be really nice right about now...& it's just up the road...
This Work requires that my lettering is PERFECT. There are 4,000 rules to have memorized - yes, FOUR THOUSAND - before I'll really be knowledgeable enough to write such a holy scroll. At least I'm getting used to the idea that *I* don't have to be perfect, that my soul doesn't have to be. But these sacred letters must be.
Full of fear & nausea once again, I slept on couch til 1 am.
When I moved to my bed, the spooky noises kept me up - so I watched the ginger tomcat fish in the pond below my kitchen window. It was very cute. He was unsuccessful. Lucky goldfish.
I read my R' Nebenzahl book again, looking for a way to ground myself into producing improved lettering.
B'ezrat HaShem

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hits Since March 2, 2005!
Free Counter by Pliner.Net
dating, lasik,

Google