Netivat Sofrut: diary of a Soferet

Adventures of a female sofer learning to heal the world by doing Holy Work...writing a Sefer Torah

נחזיר את השכינה למקומה בצייון ובתבל כלה

"Let us restore the Divine In-Dwelling to Her Place in Zion & infuse Her spirit throughout the whole inhabited world."

So wherever we are, let us bring the Peace of G@d's Presence.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vancouver/London, British Columbia/UK, Canada

SCRIBAL EVANGELIST As the only living certified Soferet (סופרת - female Jewish ritual scribe) & the first woman to practice sofrut (creation of sacred Hebrew texts) in over 200 years, I feel an obligation to blog about my experiences of The Work. I am also currently researching the foundation of a lost tradtion of women practicing this holy craft. For more on the services I provide, please see Soferet.com; Sofrut Nation. I am now available to engage with students, male or female, wishing to enter into the preliminary stage of learning sofrut. You are welcome to join me on this path. "Tzedeq, tzedeq tir'dof - Justice, justice you shall pursue." Devarim/Deuteronomy 16:20.

Wednesday, September 17, 2003

B"H

RESTLESSNESS

Monday, September 8th

I can't keep up this tight, controlled, repetative work! It's so boring because I can't get into the Zen space it requires & I'm not *doing* anything, I'm just making letters (dayenu!). & they're horrible!
I mean, to an untrained eye they probably look great - seriously. But *my* eyes aren't untrained & neither are my sofer's. There's an empirical standard I must achieve.
I worked myself silly until 11am & then slept til 3 pm

Back into R' Nebenzahl - "One who wishes to check if his soul is following the straight & narrow path should compare it to each kotz (oketz = thorn or in this case serif) & tag (Zayin-shaped crown) of the Torah, to see whether or not his soul is following an identical pattern. Any discrepancy is a sign that he has not maintained his natural sense of "right", A sign that he has followed the majority in his miscalculating ethical standards - & thereby his heart has become misaligned & is no longer attuned to the infinite wisdom of TORAH" p.187
"The essential truth which our Sages teach us here, is that man must choose a profession that will serve to enhance his spirituality - his intrinsic Torah vales & mitzvah observance." p.199
Well, I believe I'm doing both here. At least, I am in that process. Of this I have no doubt. Barukh HaShem.
I heard Coldplay - their song "G@d Put a Smile Upon Your Face"...
I spent a halfhour in my sofer's studio in a critique session - he was quite charitable about the work I did on the watercolour paper. Which I was surprised at, because this is the work I considered particularly sub-standard. & he's very critical - I mean *discerning* ;+> - & exceptionally honest with me about my work, which is like gold to me. We're going to take the next step now...
!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hits Since March 2, 2005!
Free Counter by Pliner.Net
dating, lasik,

Google