Netivat Sofrut: diary of a Soferet

Adventures of a female sofer learning to heal the world by doing Holy Work...writing a Sefer Torah

נחזיר את השכינה למקומה בצייון ובתבל כלה

"Let us restore the Divine In-Dwelling to Her Place in Zion & infuse Her spirit throughout the whole inhabited world."

So wherever we are, let us bring the Peace of G@d's Presence.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vancouver/London, British Columbia/UK, Canada

SCRIBAL EVANGELIST As the only living certified Soferet (סופרת - female Jewish ritual scribe) & the first woman to practice sofrut (creation of sacred Hebrew texts) in over 200 years, I feel an obligation to blog about my experiences of The Work. I am also currently researching the foundation of a lost tradtion of women practicing this holy craft. For more on the services I provide, please see Soferet.com; Sofrut Nation. I am now available to engage with students, male or female, wishing to enter into the preliminary stage of learning sofrut. You are welcome to join me on this path. "Tzedeq, tzedeq tir'dof - Justice, justice you shall pursue." Devarim/Deuteronomy 16:20.

Friday, September 12, 2003

ECHOING BLACK STREETS

B"H


Saturday, August 30th

*Yawn*. Woke around 9:30 a.m. & puttered about, getting ready in time to make it to Yakar by 10, when Kri'at HaTorah begins. I walked in during the Kohen aliyah, so ayn baya (no problem).
Yakar was nice - nowhere near as crowded as it used to be. It seemed to me that the mechitzah had been moved up somewhat so the women had more room...I sat alone at the front right next to the door on a single chair. I sat quietly & listened to the leyning with my eyes closed, meditating on the letters & their sounds. I davenned with no sidur. I met my sofer outside afterwards & we chatted with an obnoxious little man named who shall remain nameless. He asked me what I did for a living & I replied, "I do what he does - only not as well". My sofer said, "She whines." Then he wanted to know how I got my name, so I put him off. The two of us strolled back to their place via Ehud Olmert's house & a bizaarre few acre garden full of rubble, sunflowers, & this weird pierced-out painted pole construction with a giant set of chimes on a metal frame set into the earth beneath it. Then we started talking about cults. Then we ran into a drunk friend of his - she was quite hilarious. We were never introduced.
Over lunch we all talked about ketubah wording & halakhah (Jewish Ways) & R' Melchior vs. Rav Steinsaltz & legal vs. Halakhic it really got me thinking about equalization in Joel's & my shtar...
After a wonderful meal, I spent the afternoon alone reading "Side Effects" by Woody Allen
After Shabbat I strolled to Qaniyon Malkhah (the big mall) - it was only 45 minutes each way.
Relaxed when I returned home. Scarfed down the remainder of the whole olives & journalled. Did some looking at my Hebrew calendar found Dad's Yahrtzeit - Tishrei 28, so its Parsha is B'reyshit...ugh. This year I get to light the candle the night of October 23rd, when he died.

Looked at my finances. Dismal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hits Since March 2, 2005!
Free Counter by Pliner.Net
dating, lasik,

Google