Netivat Sofrut: diary of a Soferet

Adventures of a female sofer learning to heal the world by doing Holy Work...writing a Sefer Torah

נחזיר את השכינה למקומה בצייון ובתבל כלה

"Let us restore the Divine In-Dwelling to Her Place in Zion & infuse Her spirit throughout the whole inhabited world."

So wherever we are, let us bring the Peace of G@d's Presence.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vancouver/London, British Columbia/UK, Canada

SCRIBAL EVANGELIST As the only living certified Soferet (סופרת - female Jewish ritual scribe) & the first woman to practice sofrut (creation of sacred Hebrew texts) in over 200 years, I feel an obligation to blog about my experiences of The Work. I am also currently researching the foundation of a lost tradtion of women practicing this holy craft. For more on the services I provide, please see Soferet.com; Sofrut Nation. I am now available to engage with students, male or female, wishing to enter into the preliminary stage of learning sofrut. You are welcome to join me on this path. "Tzedeq, tzedeq tir'dof - Justice, justice you shall pursue." Devarim/Deuteronomy 16:20.

Monday, November 01, 2004

BS"D


I CAN'T SAY "POUGHKEEPSIE"

Wednesday, Augusy 4th
By 9am I woke, showered, davened, visited with Amy over breakfast til 10 (Shimon was on the phone). As I said goodbye to them both & thanked them heartily, R' Shimon reminded me that I had the responsibility of not only breaking new ground for women, but *to make a living at it*, otherwise all my work & struggles would be next to meaningless. He invited me to speak at Oberlin next spring & I accepted.
At 11am I checked the womenstorah.org hit counter & e-mail @ the Oberlin Con(servatory).
Poughkeepsie. I'm heading towards Poughkeepsie & I cannot for the life of me pronounce this name.
There was MUCH highway construction & waiting, it being the summer, so the trip took a good 5 hours longer today than anticipated. I sang in the car. The sun tipped itself down a Catskills slope & then ensued adventures in the dark getting directions from people in Accord who couldn't pronounce the name of my destination but were very nice & helpful.
10pm Elat Chayyim!
Stumbled upon Hayah Gafni on my way through the centre. She was writing away on her laptop, but we took a few minutes to catch up briefly & enthusiastically. It was really terrific to see her & catch some of that light again.
Shoshanah, one of R' Mordechai's maggidim, Joel's cohorts & a Reconstructionist rabbinical student, is really something. A very highly luminous character.
& I FINALLY met Shir-Yaaqov! *please* check out his blog! http://sixthirteen.org/blog/
There were so many bright smiling tired happy young shiny faces to greet, so many souls to connect with - what a brakhah!
It was very late by the time all the introductions had been made, the car had a new home & I was exhausted - too much to erect the tent. A bunch of us slept in Yoga moadon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hits Since March 2, 2005!
Free Counter by Pliner.Net
dating, lasik,

Google