Netivat Sofrut: diary of a Soferet

Adventures of a female sofer learning to heal the world by doing Holy Work...writing a Sefer Torah

נחזיר את השכינה למקומה בצייון ובתבל כלה

"Let us restore the Divine In-Dwelling to Her Place in Zion & infuse Her spirit throughout the whole inhabited world."

So wherever we are, let us bring the Peace of G@d's Presence.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vancouver/London, British Columbia/UK, Canada

SCRIBAL EVANGELIST As the only living certified Soferet (סופרת - female Jewish ritual scribe) & the first woman to practice sofrut (creation of sacred Hebrew texts) in over 200 years, I feel an obligation to blog about my experiences of The Work. I am also currently researching the foundation of a lost tradtion of women practicing this holy craft. For more on the services I provide, please see Soferet.com; Sofrut Nation. I am now available to engage with students, male or female, wishing to enter into the preliminary stage of learning sofrut. You are welcome to join me on this path. "Tzedeq, tzedeq tir'dof - Justice, justice you shall pursue." Devarim/Deuteronomy 16:20.

Wednesday, December 22, 2004

TOO MANY HATS

BS"D


A comment was made recently by one of the alters at our shul. The comment was this:

"The women are wearing too many hats to services"

At first I thought to myself, "That's wierd - the married women only wear one hat each". & then I thought, "oh, how kind of them - they recognise how much work we all do to keep our poor little synagogue running". But then it was explained to me - because I *am* a blonde - that the comment was a complaint against the married women who cover their hair.

Wowee. I never would have imagined. There's been some growing pains in the house, that's all. The alters consider us UTJ, which is still our official affiliation, but us young'uns consider our shul to be Orthodox & want to change affiliations. & honestly, I can't tell the difference between the two, really. We daven with a mechitzah, use the Artscroll Ashkenaz sidur, have a chalavi kitchen for which our rabbi - with Orthodox s'mikha - is the mashgiach...& the more younger people who join, the more women with covered heads there are at services. I thought that was a *good* thing...I don't see the problem, myself. You know, higher membership, more traditional observance...

Now don't get me wrong, I know that there are about as many things a married woman can choose, halakhically or not, to do with her hair (including nothing) as there are types of hair. & not every wed woman does cover her hair - most of us wear hats & have our hair hanging down. I usually either tuck all my hair up inside a hat or wear a tichl. But I don't see what's so offensive that anybody would feel the need to make a complaint about us on the other side of the mechitzah (where they shouldn't be looking) & our observant dress.

& I feel uncomfortable when Jews judge each other negatively for making different Halakhic choices, one from the other.

What about Ahavas Yisro'el?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hits Since March 2, 2005!
Free Counter by Pliner.Net
dating, lasik,

Google