Netivat Sofrut: diary of a Soferet

Adventures of a female sofer learning to heal the world by doing Holy Work...writing a Sefer Torah

נחזיר את השכינה למקומה בצייון ובתבל כלה

"Let us restore the Divine In-Dwelling to Her Place in Zion & infuse Her spirit throughout the whole inhabited world."

So wherever we are, let us bring the Peace of G@d's Presence.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vancouver/London, British Columbia/UK, Canada

SCRIBAL EVANGELIST As the only living certified Soferet (סופרת - female Jewish ritual scribe) & the first woman to practice sofrut (creation of sacred Hebrew texts) in over 200 years, I feel an obligation to blog about my experiences of The Work. I am also currently researching the foundation of a lost tradtion of women practicing this holy craft. For more on the services I provide, please see Soferet.com; Sofrut Nation. I am now available to engage with students, male or female, wishing to enter into the preliminary stage of learning sofrut. You are welcome to join me on this path. "Tzedeq, tzedeq tir'dof - Justice, justice you shall pursue." Devarim/Deuteronomy 16:20.

Friday, January 07, 2005

PROUD TO BE CANADIAN

BS"D


I caught an NFB documentary on the Knowledge Network (channel 5 here in Vancouver) called "Shinny: the Hockey in All of Us". It brought back old memories of skating on the neighbourhood pond behind Lona's house when I was in grade 3, & of all tennis & basketball courts in public parks having the hose turned on them as the weather froze so we could skate outdoors for free all winter in Prince George. You'll notice that *every* single picture on the site is snowy. That's because we had 2 seasons there - Winter & July. We have an 8mm film of our family playing "crack the whip" on one of those frozen rectangles when I was 3. I miss Dad. He was the real skater in the family. Quite the hockey player, too.
Sigh.
& here I sit at my desk with 4cm of snow outside, a rarity on the Southwest Coast, & with no time to play in it, appreciate it, skate...
Very melancholy today.
You know there's a place in Metulla called "Merkaz Canada". If you flash your Canuck passport, you get in free. That's right, all the hockey, swimming, skating, whatever they offer, all gratis.
I wish I lived in a simple small town in Saskatchewan right now, like Shaunavon, instead of a big, complicated city like Vancouver.
:(

2 Comments:

Blogger Peter said...

I miss outdoor skating on frozen ponds (but not the frozen feet). Not hockey.

But sometimes, i remember the little town in southeast Manitoba we lived in for three years--dysfunctional as hell (and very complicated), but the prairie light and the trees and the landscape still speak to someplace in my heart these years later.

Winter makes us wistful.

4:16 a.m.  
Blogger Soferet said...

BS"D
Yes, perhaps it's the slow dying of Autumn & the resting of Winter which inspires us to turn inward. That process readying us for delicate snowdrops & crocuses forcing themselves up from the seemingly barren earth.

9:35 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hits Since March 2, 2005!
Free Counter by Pliner.Net
dating, lasik,

Google