Netivat Sofrut: diary of a Soferet

Adventures of a female sofer learning to heal the world by doing Holy Work...writing a Sefer Torah

נחזיר את השכינה למקומה בצייון ובתבל כלה

"Let us restore the Divine In-Dwelling to Her Place in Zion & infuse Her spirit throughout the whole inhabited world."

So wherever we are, let us bring the Peace of G@d's Presence.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vancouver/London, British Columbia/UK, Canada

SCRIBAL EVANGELIST As the only living certified Soferet (סופרת - female Jewish ritual scribe) & the first woman to practice sofrut (creation of sacred Hebrew texts) in over 200 years, I feel an obligation to blog about my experiences of The Work. I am also currently researching the foundation of a lost tradtion of women practicing this holy craft. For more on the services I provide, please see Soferet.com; Sofrut Nation. I am now available to engage with students, male or female, wishing to enter into the preliminary stage of learning sofrut. You are welcome to join me on this path. "Tzedeq, tzedeq tir'dof - Justice, justice you shall pursue." Devarim/Deuteronomy 16:20.

Monday, March 21, 2005

BRING A SMILE TO THE FACE OF A MOURNER THIS PURIM

BS"D


Alisha, Blogtrix Extrordinaire of the blog formally known as Spinach, Almonds & Sharp Pointy Teeth, asked me to spread the word about this mitzvah we can all do for Purim. & it's not too late, so run to do this mitzvah:

"Many of my friends and acquaintances have heard me talk about my dear friend in Israel, Adina, and her family there, and her husband Ben-Yishai, and his family there...and about his brother, Gavriel Hoter, yz"b, hy"d, who was murdered in Yeshivat Otniel along with three other students in December of 2002.

Since that time, their family has been both beneficiaries and contributors to the Terror Victims Association/Almagor. This organization, like many others, helps victims and their families; however, there are two things which make TVA unique. First, they have been in operation since long before the intense violence of the last few years. In fact, they have been operating since 1986 and continue to give assistance to those who were struck that long ago. Second, the organization was founded by and continues to be largely supported by the efforts of victims and their families. In that way, people whose lives have been damaged by terror can heal through the mutual support of others who know their pain.

For Purim, TVA is sending mishlochei manot to families in their care. They have produced very nice cards which, upon sponsorship of one such basket ($20), one may send to a friend in lieu of or in addition to actual mishloach manot. As Ben-Yishai is currently in the US, I have a pile of these cards. If anyone is interested in sponsoring TVA's m"m, please let me know as soon as possible.

Please tell me how many cards you would like and your address. If you tell me before shabbat hopefully that will give you enough time to send them out to your own friends before Purim. Alternatively, if you would like me to write in your name and your friends' names and mail them directly, please tell me their names and addresses.

The links are Gavriel and TVA. I'll recommend the CD that the Hoter family produced in his memory, available on the site (or through me). The money from that goes to a traveling midrasha that they set up to teach the midot that he embodied.

Chag Purim Sameach!
~Alisha"

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

my older sister used to work for tva. they are good folks.

6:31 p.m.  
Blogger Alisha said...

Thanks, Aviel! Are you still not able to load my site? :-(

Chag Purim Sameach!

9:41 p.m.  
Blogger Soferet said...

BS"D
Oh yeah, murm? Which sister?
No problemo, Alisha. I'm going to add the links to my side bar so folks can access them anytime. & no, I still cannot access your page, which is a drag, because you are a BlogGoddess...
Chag Purim Same'ach gam le-at!

11:27 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my one & only 1.5 years older sister, naomi, who still lives in israel. she did computery stuff & email appeals. her politics were to the left of her boss but he was a very decent guy.

11:36 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hits Since March 2, 2005!
Free Counter by Pliner.Net
dating, lasik,

Google