Netivat Sofrut: diary of a Soferet

Adventures of a female sofer learning to heal the world by doing Holy Work...writing a Sefer Torah

נחזיר את השכינה למקומה בצייון ובתבל כלה

"Let us restore the Divine In-Dwelling to Her Place in Zion & infuse Her spirit throughout the whole inhabited world."

So wherever we are, let us bring the Peace of G@d's Presence.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vancouver/London, British Columbia/UK, Canada

SCRIBAL EVANGELIST As the only living certified Soferet (סופרת - female Jewish ritual scribe) & the first woman to practice sofrut (creation of sacred Hebrew texts) in over 200 years, I feel an obligation to blog about my experiences of The Work. I am also currently researching the foundation of a lost tradtion of women practicing this holy craft. For more on the services I provide, please see Soferet.com; Sofrut Nation. I am now available to engage with students, male or female, wishing to enter into the preliminary stage of learning sofrut. You are welcome to join me on this path. "Tzedeq, tzedeq tir'dof - Justice, justice you shall pursue." Devarim/Deuteronomy 16:20.

Tuesday, March 01, 2005

FIRST MEGILAT ESTHER

BS"D

First Megilat Esther.jpg

Winter 2003: Writing the very first words ("And it was in the days of Achashverosh...") of the Megilat Esther for Shaarey Tefilah. I'm leaning on a sheet of paper so as not to touch the qlaf & reading from a tiqun to ensure everything is written properly. In front of me lie rolls of qlaf & my book on sofrut, Liqutey Sifrei ST"M.
(photo credit: Chana Joffe-Walt)

& yes, you can see some hair in this snap, but I wasn't married yet, so if you don't like it, don't look.

I am still working on my second Megilah, this one illustrated, but between this case of the blues & a terrible cold (my girlfriend Maya's baby sneezed on my chin last week), I have been having a restless, sluggish, unproductive day. So I switched from writing to painting today. That was an adventure.

In Vancouver there are about a bazillion art supply stores, my favourite being Opus. But we are not in Vancouver right now. We are visiting Joel's family in Washington State, a little working holiday, & we are functionally away from civilization. I did not bring gouache with me, my preferred medium for decorating parchment, as I didn't know when we left home that I was coming down with a cold. This cold has thrown me for a loop & I can't maintain the necessary intention to properly form the letters, so - painting...

Joel's brother Jeremy & I headed into "town" & we started at Artists' Edge (no gouache, but a funky sharpener for rectangular pencils), then we went to JoAnn's (I hate big-box stores because they are one of the things which are destroying the planet, but I *really* needed gouache. They had none), & finally to Michael's (gouache). Success! Not only did they have gouache, but they had a full line of Bob Ross paint brushes, which I've never seen in Canada.

You remember Bob Ross? The gentle, funky Viet Nam vet with the 'fro who taught America how to paint oil landscapes on PBS? I loved those shows.
"Now we're gonna make a little tree down here by the brook. Look at that. What a nice little fella. Happy tree. Now let's just give him a little snow to wear..."

Anyway, I own plenty of high-quality paint brushes, but when I saw that there was one called a "Wildlife Finisher", I couldn't resisit but fight off an imaginary animal in the aisle. "Take that! & that!"

This cold has stoned me or something. (in a Van Morrison way)
& no kosher cold medicine out here in the tulies, so I'll just have to get over it the old fashioned way.
Anyway, we are now back & I am painting. Yay!
I hope this post makes sense, because I am REALLY sick!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

awww, nothing about the burning crosses?

12:10 a.m.  
Blogger Alisha said...

When you're sick you're supposed to get into bed and stay there, so as to stop being sick sooner. Silly!

Feel better...

6:53 p.m.  
Blogger Talmida said...

Thank you for the laugh -- no, not your cold! -- Bob Ross! I haven't thought of him in years. He made it all look so easy. Alas, I never got the knack of it. :)

3:47 p.m.  
Blogger Soferet said...

B"SD
Okay, okay, Jeremy...
So as I said, I was feeling rather whacked out on this cold. When we were in JoAnn's, we spied a wall of wooden crosses, presumably to be decorated by crafty Christians (or perhaps ghoulish Goths) in time for Easter. In my viral delirium I took one off the crosses & pressed it up against my forehead, crying, "It burns! It burrrns!!" The Crusades are just like that: if you don't laugh about it, you'll cry. & you'll never stop.
So, no cross- burnings on lawns, folks. Nothing to be alarmed about. & please don't be offended as it was just a sickie goofing off & meaning no harm...

6:02 p.m.  
Blogger Soferet said...

BS"D
Hi, Alisha - well, yeah, I know I'm supposed to rest when I'm ill, BUT I HAVE SO MUCH WORK TO DO!
From your silly soferet :)

6:03 p.m.  
Blogger Soferet said...

BS"D
Hello, talmida. Yes, the Amazing Bob Ross, former US Air Force pilot & Art Messiah to the Masses. We'll miss him :)
I had a look at your blog & found it really interesting. & humourous. I will pray for your mother-in-law, bli neder.

6:10 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hits Since March 2, 2005!
Free Counter by Pliner.Net
dating, lasik,

Google