Netivat Sofrut: diary of a Soferet

Adventures of a female sofer learning to heal the world by doing Holy Work...writing a Sefer Torah

נחזיר את השכינה למקומה בצייון ובתבל כלה

"Let us restore the Divine In-Dwelling to Her Place in Zion & infuse Her spirit throughout the whole inhabited world."

So wherever we are, let us bring the Peace of G@d's Presence.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vancouver/London, British Columbia/UK, Canada

SCRIBAL EVANGELIST As the only living certified Soferet (סופרת - female Jewish ritual scribe) & the first woman to practice sofrut (creation of sacred Hebrew texts) in over 200 years, I feel an obligation to blog about my experiences of The Work. I am also currently researching the foundation of a lost tradtion of women practicing this holy craft. For more on the services I provide, please see Soferet.com; Sofrut Nation. I am now available to engage with students, male or female, wishing to enter into the preliminary stage of learning sofrut. You are welcome to join me on this path. "Tzedeq, tzedeq tir'dof - Justice, justice you shall pursue." Devarim/Deuteronomy 16:20.

Monday, March 07, 2005

ON CARTOONS & DOLLIES

BS"D


Last night Joel & I went to the Ridge for the animation festival (yes, I know this blog is supposed to be about sofrut, but more than that it's about my life trying to find Torah in everything). Wowee. It was really something. The opener, Bill Plympton's Guard Dog, was the funniest thing I'd seen in ages. I can see why it was nominated for an Oscar. I have a terrible weakness for Bill's art anyway - I've been following his work since the mid-80's (I know I'm dating myself & I don't care) & he is one of my faves.

The rest of the films were really quite dark. Probably the best one of the lot, both because of its social comment & its technical execution, was Fallen Art. You can see it here.

Not part of the animation fest but a crazy piece of art is this thing which Kyla sent us. Quite hilarious & extraordinarily blue...

Now onto the dollies. These I discovered while browsing Miriam's blog. I agree with her - we have to make a concerted effort to make Barbie a permanent part of museum archives & not a living, active part of how our children learn to play & dress & act. At the same time, tsnius can be pushed too far, IMHO, & is often done so as a means of opressing women. So we have a tightrope to walk. What's new? Kol ha-Olam kulo gesher tsar me'od...

Well, I don't think I've ever put so many links into a post. I must not have much interesting to say today. Well, it's still early...

7 Comments:

Blogger Jay said...

After looking at the Fallen Art page and trailer, I really wish we were able to join you. That movie looks fantastic. And Bill Plympton isn't bad, either. :)

11:14 a.m.  
Blogger Alisha said...

I must say, I kind of wish you hadn't posted so many links. Guess what I did all evening...

9:32 p.m.  
Blogger Peter said...

"Tsnius"?

4:00 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking for a definition, Peter? it's usually translated as modest, but that's a little too simplified of a definition. Chayyei Sarah suggests dignified would be a better definition. So, on one foot: "Proper, appropriate, modest and dignified, in dress, manners and speech."

P.S. Aviel, I don't usually post, but I do enjoy reading your blog.

8:27 a.m.  
Blogger Soferet said...

BS"D
ACH! So sorry, Peter. I'm usually good about translating as I write. But Miriam gave a better, more global definition than I would have, so thanks for stepping in there, Miriam. & I'm really glad that you enjoy reading my blog. In fact, your comment is inspiring me to make another post just on the subject of modesty & expectations & gender within Judaism...
...like I don't have enough to say already...

& As for Jay & Alisha, well you should hit the movies with us next time, even tho' it means a 3,000 mile trip for the latter.

9:29 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh! I want to read your tzniut post!

11:54 a.m.  
Blogger Soferet said...

BS"D
Oh, & you surely will. It's getting ready to erupt, along with a post on professional & personal boundaries, conversion, Jewish self-hatred...
Just be patient, Shanna ;+>

1:49 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hits Since March 2, 2005!
Free Counter by Pliner.Net
dating, lasik,

Google