Netivat Sofrut: diary of a Soferet

Adventures of a female sofer learning to heal the world by doing Holy Work...writing a Sefer Torah

נחזיר את השכינה למקומה בצייון ובתבל כלה

"Let us restore the Divine In-Dwelling to Her Place in Zion & infuse Her spirit throughout the whole inhabited world."

So wherever we are, let us bring the Peace of G@d's Presence.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vancouver/London, British Columbia/UK, Canada

SCRIBAL EVANGELIST As the only living certified Soferet (סופרת - female Jewish ritual scribe) & the first woman to practice sofrut (creation of sacred Hebrew texts) in over 200 years, I feel an obligation to blog about my experiences of The Work. I am also currently researching the foundation of a lost tradtion of women practicing this holy craft. For more on the services I provide, please see Soferet.com; Sofrut Nation. I am now available to engage with students, male or female, wishing to enter into the preliminary stage of learning sofrut. You are welcome to join me on this path. "Tzedeq, tzedeq tir'dof - Justice, justice you shall pursue." Devarim/Deuteronomy 16:20.

Sunday, April 17, 2005

SUNDAZE

BS"D


AH, such a day!
Davened, ate, wrote, had a telephone conference about a Sefer Torah, checked my e-mail, had lunch, met with a ketubah client, studied some Rabbeynu Asher on why women should not write Sifrei Torah & how the Sha'agat Aryeh refutes each of R' Asher's arguments, had a nap, wrote some more...this particular kulmus (quill) has taken on a life of its own, the nib curling ever so slightly more each day (regardless of my regular re-carving) so I must tame it later with water.

Today is the last day of the Vancouver Jewish Film Festival. Last week we saw In Satmar Custody, which was as deeply fascinating as it was disturbing. It has inspired me to help raise tzedaqah for this poor family, so they can get their children back. The VJFF also played The Ritchie Boys, which we gave a miss as we were given a copy by the film makers who I worked with earlier this year. It's a terrific movie, though, so if you have a chance...

We're heading off tonight to The Grind, one of my fave gallery/coffeehouses on Main St for a presentation on the Slow Movement. There's a panel. Should be good. Joel & I want to start a Slow Judaism revolution. & yes, I do go into treyf restaurants & no I do not consume anything there but cold water in a glass. Unless, of course, they allow me to check out how they make coffee & tea & the like - then I may have a kosher hot beverage in a glass mug. I've been spending some time with Is It Kosher?, the R' Eidlitz book which details the practical ways one can keep truly kosher without being perpetually enslaved to hek'shers. I told my rabbi all about it & he got so excited, he ordered a copy :)
This volume will make my Pesach more liberating, I'm sure...

Shavu'ah tov...

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

not so much the slow movement, but i hope it provided a bit of food for thought (no pun regarding that next paragraph intended), at least.

9:30 p.m.  
Blogger Soferet said...

BS"D
Oh, puns should always be intended, murm. & there was plenty of thought-food, thanks.

I thought the bespectacled gent referring to people of faith as being "theologically prejudiced" was rude, but I was engaged with what the other panelists had to say & really enjoyed the dialogue which was inspired. Thanks for inviting us.

12:07 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For more kashrut sanity, check out Rav Abadi's website.

7:23 p.m.  
Blogger Soferet said...

BS"D
No, thanks, Rav Abadi fills me with rage.

8:29 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hits Since March 2, 2005!
Free Counter by Pliner.Net
dating, lasik,

Google