Netivat Sofrut: diary of a Soferet

Adventures of a female sofer learning to heal the world by doing Holy Work...writing a Sefer Torah

נחזיר את השכינה למקומה בצייון ובתבל כלה

"Let us restore the Divine In-Dwelling to Her Place in Zion & infuse Her spirit throughout the whole inhabited world."

So wherever we are, let us bring the Peace of G@d's Presence.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vancouver/London, British Columbia/UK, Canada

SCRIBAL EVANGELIST As the only living certified Soferet (סופרת - female Jewish ritual scribe) & the first woman to practice sofrut (creation of sacred Hebrew texts) in over 200 years, I feel an obligation to blog about my experiences of The Work. I am also currently researching the foundation of a lost tradtion of women practicing this holy craft. For more on the services I provide, please see Soferet.com; Sofrut Nation. I am now available to engage with students, male or female, wishing to enter into the preliminary stage of learning sofrut. You are welcome to join me on this path. "Tzedeq, tzedeq tir'dof - Justice, justice you shall pursue." Devarim/Deuteronomy 16:20.

Sunday, June 05, 2005

MY POST AT JEN'S BLOG

בס"ד


BS"D
Well, welcome aboard, Jen! This is the carnival otherwise known as "The Media".

As I said in my e-mail to you on Friday (after I first saw the article), I am sorry that the Forward didn't give you more coverage. I feel they should have at least named you & given your web address. I also know that you aren't a copycat & that you were inspired to follow this path before you had heard of me. I'm also very sorry you feel portrayed in that light. Thank you for saying publicly that you don't blame me for that. I assure you, I gave the Forward no such impression of you.

As promised I am looking for other sofrim who might teach you Azkarot, etc & certify you, so you can continue your work. I don't want you having to take 8 years to complete your training like I had to :)

I must agree with livredor about notoriety. If you want to see *bad* press, I'll show you! Most journalists who interview me want to get into my personal business & sensationalize my private life (which actually isn't so sensational ;+>). They also like to paint me as some Orthodox Jewish Boadicea brandishing a quill. They won't listen when I say that other women in Jewish history have practiced sofrut, maybe even written a Sefer Torah. But that doesn't sell papers. So I actually turn most journalists away, because they're unethical.

I wish you *just* enough fame that you have plenty of the sort of work you love, with good clients, Jen. Beyond that, it just gets weird, so my HaShem guard you from it.

Shavu'ah tov,
Aviel

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hits Since March 2, 2005!
Free Counter by Pliner.Net
dating, lasik,

Google