Netivat Sofrut: diary of a Soferet

Adventures of a female sofer learning to heal the world by doing Holy Work...writing a Sefer Torah

נחזיר את השכינה למקומה בצייון ובתבל כלה

"Let us restore the Divine In-Dwelling to Her Place in Zion & infuse Her spirit throughout the whole inhabited world."

So wherever we are, let us bring the Peace of G@d's Presence.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vancouver/London, British Columbia/UK, Canada

SCRIBAL EVANGELIST As the only living certified Soferet (סופרת - female Jewish ritual scribe) & the first woman to practice sofrut (creation of sacred Hebrew texts) in over 200 years, I feel an obligation to blog about my experiences of The Work. I am also currently researching the foundation of a lost tradtion of women practicing this holy craft. For more on the services I provide, please see Soferet.com; Sofrut Nation. I am now available to engage with students, male or female, wishing to enter into the preliminary stage of learning sofrut. You are welcome to join me on this path. "Tzedeq, tzedeq tir'dof - Justice, justice you shall pursue." Devarim/Deuteronomy 16:20.

Friday, July 08, 2005

UPCOMING EVENTS!

BS"D


UPDATED March 19th 2006!


Film:

April 24 06. Palo Alto. Vision TV, Canada's interfaith channel: my first documentary, "Soferet: A Special Scribe" will be shown at Kol Emeth


Television:

April 5 06. Vision TV, Canada's interfaith channel: my first documentary, "Soferet: A Special Scribe" produced by Reel Time Images & premiered in November, & will be available for the International Film Festival circuit this year! The DVD will be released for sale on April 5th of 06.
April 5 06. Second screening on Vision TV at 10 p.m. ET/7 p.m. Pacific.
April 6 06. Repeats on at 11 p.m. ET/ 8 p.m. Pacific.

Radio:

CBC Radio One "On the Coast" with Priya Ramu - TBA
The Voicemobile with Joyce the Voice, Rebbe of the Radio - Autumn 06


Appearances:

March 30 - April 5 06. Saratoga Springs NY. Skidmore College Departments of Religion, Philosophy & Women's Studies.
May 06. Victoria BC. Congregation Emanu-El. TBA
May 06. Nanaimo BC. Central Vancouver Island Jewish Community. TBA
May 06. Courtney BC. Comox Valley Jewish Community.
June 06. Winnipeg MB. Shaarey Zedek Synagogue. TBA.
July 06. Camp Ramah. TBA.


Check back here for more updates and details, soon!


Book News:

Featured in the latest edition of The Quotable Jewish Woman by Elaine Bernstein-Partnow!


Interact:

Read and participate on my blog (mazal tov! you found it!) & on Radical Torah


Have a most beautiful Shabbes!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you spending Shabbat (Aug 19-20) in JP? Probably, right? *pout* Too far to walk over to us. *kick dirt*

(BTW, the abbreviation for Connecticut is CT. :))

6:20 a.m.  
Blogger Soferet said...

בס"ד
Yes, I will be the scholar-in-residence at Nehar Shalom, the new shtibl of my good friend, mentor & first Rabbi, Victor Reinstein.
Eek. I'm so sorry that we won't be able to spend that Shabbes together, Shanna. I really want to hang out & so does Joel.
I'm teaching there on the Thursday night as well, & spending much time on the north shore checking Torahs, so how can us two meet you two?!?
Thanks for the heads up on Connecticut (blush)...
...I'm just a Canadian...
:)

9:32 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you have plans motzei Shabbat for drinks/snacks? Or maybe for a late breakfast/early lunch Sunday (I'll make a quiche and we'll have bread and cheeses and vegetables).

We're (we hope!) going to be moving around then, but one apartment or the other will have our table and dishes and such, so as long as you don't mind a bunch of half-full boxes on the floor...

11:12 a.m.  
Blogger Soferet said...

בס"ד
Ooh! That sounds fabulous :)
Yes, please, we would love to - I just need to confirm what time I'm teaching Sunday & I'll get back to you. Thanks so much for the invite, Shanna, I'm so looking forward to meeting you & Julian (Joel is too).

11:24 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AVIEL ON TOUR! This is all so amazing. I'm very proud of you. Your time to shine has finally come and you deserve every bit of it.

I guess there is not enough business here to draw you to Honolulu, eh? But, Aaron and I will be in Vancouver over Rosh Hashana so maybe there will a time to meet up with you and Joel that week.

Have a fabulous summer and Shabbat Shalom!

11:42 a.m.  
Blogger Soferet said...

בס"ד
Aw, shucks, Ev! Thanks :) It's all G@d...
I'm proud of you, too, you know, you crazy world-famous groundbreaking astronomer chick!
If the Hawai'ian Jews want me to come, I will be there! Spread the word. Either way, Joel & I are totally looking forward to spending the chagim with you two...
In the meantime, let's read each other's blogs & have a fab summer!

12:05 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will let Julian know we are tentatively scheduled for that day - please be in touch to confirm closer to then (since we don't know which apartment we'll even be in).

1:13 p.m.  
Blogger Soferet said...

בס"ד
You got it, Toyota!
;+>

1:30 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hits Since March 2, 2005!
Free Counter by Pliner.Net
dating, lasik,

Google