Netivat Sofrut: diary of a Soferet

Adventures of a female sofer learning to heal the world by doing Holy Work...writing a Sefer Torah

נחזיר את השכינה למקומה בצייון ובתבל כלה

"Let us restore the Divine In-Dwelling to Her Place in Zion & infuse Her spirit throughout the whole inhabited world."

So wherever we are, let us bring the Peace of G@d's Presence.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vancouver/London, British Columbia/UK, Canada

SCRIBAL EVANGELIST As the only living certified Soferet (סופרת - female Jewish ritual scribe) & the first woman to practice sofrut (creation of sacred Hebrew texts) in over 200 years, I feel an obligation to blog about my experiences of The Work. I am also currently researching the foundation of a lost tradtion of women practicing this holy craft. For more on the services I provide, please see Soferet.com; Sofrut Nation. I am now available to engage with students, male or female, wishing to enter into the preliminary stage of learning sofrut. You are welcome to join me on this path. "Tzedeq, tzedeq tir'dof - Justice, justice you shall pursue." Devarim/Deuteronomy 16:20.

Thursday, August 25, 2005

THE BARE FOREST AWAITS...

בס"ד


20 Av

Morning tow to the North Bay Canadian Tire - nice local chap picked us up...your typical small-town, no-nonsense Canuck.

Turns out the belt which broke runs the air pump, which basically functions as a means to dilute the car's emissions. & it burned up because the air pump had siezed. This model of air pump is no longer available, so we not only couldn't replace that, but replacing the belt was pointless. The friendly mechanics at Canada's greatest home & automotive store sent us on our way, saying that our car was indeed safe to drive the remaining 3,000 kilometres back home to Vancouver & that we would even notice no difference in our gas mileage.

But boy, does the car reek now :(

So we washed up in the bathroom there, davened in the garage waiting room & headed on our adventure to Thunder Bay...
...& ended up staying in White River. The sun was going down & we just didn't want to end up as two of the annual summer human/moose fatalities along that stretch of the Trans Canada Highway. I was really looking forward to Shabbes in Winnipeg with the Benarroch family, & didn't want an animal heavier than our car crushing us in the meantime. There's still too much Torah to learn!

Turns out, White River is where Winnie the Pooh was born!

You learn something every day...G@d willing...

4 Comments:

Blogger Simon said...

I never realised that Winnie the Pooh was Canadian, but I can't say it surprises me -- so many of the best people are!

2:14 p.m.  
Blogger Soferet said...

בס"ד
:D
Do I detect a Canuckian accent in your writing, Simon?
;+>

4:55 p.m.  
Blogger Simon said...

LOL, no not me. I think my accent is very British, for example I write "tyre centre", but I have this long history of "clicking" with Canadians. It started at about age 7, when one of my close friends at school was Canadian, and it's carried on to this day through 3 intercontinental relocations and into the blogosphere where several of my favourite blogs are written by Canadians.

11:14 a.m.  
Blogger Soferet said...

בס"ד
Ah - I understand (& thanks for listing me on yur fave Canadian blogs) very well, as my mum is a Brit & I have a great & easy connexion with my family & friends who are from the UK.

3:15 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hits Since March 2, 2005!
Free Counter by Pliner.Net
dating, lasik,

Google