Netivat Sofrut: diary of a Soferet

Adventures of a female sofer learning to heal the world by doing Holy Work...writing a Sefer Torah

נחזיר את השכינה למקומה בצייון ובתבל כלה

"Let us restore the Divine In-Dwelling to Her Place in Zion & infuse Her spirit throughout the whole inhabited world."

So wherever we are, let us bring the Peace of G@d's Presence.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vancouver/London, British Columbia/UK, Canada

SCRIBAL EVANGELIST As the only living certified Soferet (סופרת - female Jewish ritual scribe) & the first woman to practice sofrut (creation of sacred Hebrew texts) in over 200 years, I feel an obligation to blog about my experiences of The Work. I am also currently researching the foundation of a lost tradtion of women practicing this holy craft. For more on the services I provide, please see Soferet.com; Sofrut Nation. I am now available to engage with students, male or female, wishing to enter into the preliminary stage of learning sofrut. You are welcome to join me on this path. "Tzedeq, tzedeq tir'dof - Justice, justice you shall pursue." Devarim/Deuteronomy 16:20.

Tuesday, August 02, 2005

VISITATION OF THE DIVINE CHARIOT

בס"ד


Tamuz 26

First Day of class with my new group went very well indeed. It's a smaller crowd, which is good, because we can all move through the Alefbet easier that way & I'm able to give my students more personal attention to their letter forms. I have a professional visual artist as well as a fabric artist in my class this time, who are very exciting to work with as they have specific goals for incorporation of what I teach them in their work life. Hidur Mitzvah (beautifying mitzvot) is an important occupation, so I'm only too happy to help...

Of course, this is Elat Chayyim, so I realised once we had learned the necessary otiyot that some of my talmidim were happily writing G@d's name on their practice sheets. This inspired my friendly yet firm talk on when & where & how we write G@d's name & just who is allowed to do that. They listened, but I'm not sure they all heard.

I walked to Accord in my flip-flops (don't try this at home, kids), which took an hour in the boiling afternoon - & another hour on the way back. I'd underestimated the distance, the temperature & the humidity outside, so it was more than I'd bargained for. The cool, dark river with its waterfall just along the road by Elat Chayyim looked & smelled so inviting in this summer heat, but I resisted as there were several young men by the bridge.

I saw a huge, silver merkavah suspended from the branch of a tree in the front yard of a 19th century church. Quite a thing to meditate on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hits Since March 2, 2005!
Free Counter by Pliner.Net
dating, lasik,

Google