Netivat Sofrut: diary of a Soferet

Adventures of a female sofer learning to heal the world by doing Holy Work...writing a Sefer Torah

נחזיר את השכינה למקומה בצייון ובתבל כלה

"Let us restore the Divine In-Dwelling to Her Place in Zion & infuse Her spirit throughout the whole inhabited world."

So wherever we are, let us bring the Peace of G@d's Presence.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vancouver/London, British Columbia/UK, Canada

SCRIBAL EVANGELIST As the only living certified Soferet (סופרת - female Jewish ritual scribe) & the first woman to practice sofrut (creation of sacred Hebrew texts) in over 200 years, I feel an obligation to blog about my experiences of The Work. I am also currently researching the foundation of a lost tradtion of women practicing this holy craft. For more on the services I provide, please see Soferet.com; Sofrut Nation. I am now available to engage with students, male or female, wishing to enter into the preliminary stage of learning sofrut. You are welcome to join me on this path. "Tzedeq, tzedeq tir'dof - Justice, justice you shall pursue." Devarim/Deuteronomy 16:20.

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

THE 26 HOUR FAST FOR YOUR LIFE

בס"ד

9 Tishrei

With the lyrics of Leonard Cohen's "Who By Fire" dancing through my intrepid brain, I am inspired to make a list of:

The 10 things I would like to improve about myself this year, 1 for each of the Days of Awe in Tishrei:

1. increase my patience
2. decrease my fear
3. stop berating myself when I make small, human mistakes
4. give more money to tzedaka
5. volunteer a few hours each week to perform charity work
6. not withdraw completey from my community when I'm hurt or grieving
7. improve my relationship with food by divorcing my self from my mother's war trauma
8. stop interrupting people when they are speaking
9. slow down so I can be more conscious
10. really deepen my trust in G@d


All of the fast days, when observed properly, draw down Divine grace from the ultimate source of mercy, G@d's Name Havayah.

The Sefer Hatanya quotes the Arizal (Rabbi Yitzchaq Luria) as teaching his students to fast 151 fasts to repent for their anger. Nowadays, many people give charity instead of fasting (but not on the general fast days in the Jewish calendar, only for "personal" fasts). "Anger," or "ka'as" in Hebrew, equals the number 150. The rectification for anger (150), is anger plus 1 (G@d is One,) or 151. Your connexion to G@d can help you to rectify anger. It is advisable to give the sum of 151 to charity in dollars or other denomination each time that you become angry. That'd sure make me think twice before I lost my temper! I'll envision all that cash next time I get mad, & how I can't afford to part with it...

For a Hassidic bent on fasting (think Jewish Sufis) check thisout.

MAY ALL THE CHILDREN OF ISRAEL BE SEALED FOR A GOOD & SWEET YEAR, FULL OF BLESSINGS, & FAVOUR FROM THE HOLY ONE!

4 Comments:

Blogger Peter said...

Blessings during this holy time for you both.

5:23 p.m.  
Blogger Soferet said...

בס"ד
Thanks, Peter!
:D

10:30 p.m.  
Blogger Talmida said...

Aviel, I love your new header!

8:47 a.m.  
Blogger Soferet said...

בס"ד
Thanks, Talmida! Jordan made it for me out of fab pix of my work & my hand writing & my logo. His work url is here.
:D

7:46 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hits Since March 2, 2005!
Free Counter by Pliner.Net
dating, lasik,

Google