Netivat Sofrut: diary of a Soferet

Adventures of a female sofer learning to heal the world by doing Holy Work...writing a Sefer Torah

נחזיר את השכינה למקומה בצייון ובתבל כלה

"Let us restore the Divine In-Dwelling to Her Place in Zion & infuse Her spirit throughout the whole inhabited world."

So wherever we are, let us bring the Peace of G@d's Presence.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vancouver/London, British Columbia/UK, Canada

SCRIBAL EVANGELIST As the only living certified Soferet (סופרת - female Jewish ritual scribe) & the first woman to practice sofrut (creation of sacred Hebrew texts) in over 200 years, I feel an obligation to blog about my experiences of The Work. I am also currently researching the foundation of a lost tradtion of women practicing this holy craft. For more on the services I provide, please see Soferet.com; Sofrut Nation. I am now available to engage with students, male or female, wishing to enter into the preliminary stage of learning sofrut. You are welcome to join me on this path. "Tzedeq, tzedeq tir'dof - Justice, justice you shall pursue." Devarim/Deuteronomy 16:20.

Friday, October 07, 2005

G@D IS GOOD & DOES GOOD!

בס"ד

4 Tishrei

As we have completed our study of R' Soloveitchik's "Lonely Man of Faith", B"H, we now begin a study of Rabbi Yehudah HaLevi's classic work of Jewish philosophy, "The Kuzari: In Defense of the Despised Faith".  This is how I spend my Friday mornings in synagogue: pray, breakfast & learn. & I've always been facinated by the Kuzar empire & their adoption of Judaism as "the true faith".

The Kuzari presents a dialogue between King Bulan of the Khazars and a rabbi, Yitzchaq Al-HaSangari (or
Mangari, as he is also known). The questions and answers discuss many of the fundamentals of Judaism, including: tradition vs. logic, prophetic messages, the afterlife, the land of Israel, the Hebrew language, the benefits of communal prayer, astrology, determinism vs. free will, and many other subjects. This is one of the most revered Jewish philosophical works of all time.

& it just plain rocks.

In other news, Joel has now been officially accepted as an immigrant to Canada! After all the paperwork, medical expenses & various fees which nearly broke us, the wait is finally over! Thank G@d!
The blessing we recite when we hear good news which is of benefit to ourselves & others is:
Barukh atah, H', Eloqeynu melekh ha-olam, ha-tov ve-ha-meytiv!
Blessed are you, L@rd our G@d, ruler over time & space, who is good & does good!

Wishing you all a beautiful, heart-opening Shabbat Shuvah!

14 Comments:

Blogger Peter said...

Welcome, Joel! Consider this a handshake across the kilometres!

4:58 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! Mazal tov on your immigration status, Joel!

6:22 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha'tov ve'ha'metiv, Joel! May you henceforth be untroubled by bureaucrats.

8:50 p.m.  
Blogger Barefoot Jewess said...

I am happy that Joel crossed the border.

However, I am not so sure that this is about
G-d being good.

Why does Joel rate , and not me?

The question is rhetorical.

3:38 a.m.  
Blogger Evenewra said...

Mazel tov to both of you! What a relief to finally have legal status! (I should know.)

4:57 a.m.  
Blogger Jordan Stratford+ said...

"Why does Joel rate , and not me?

The question is rhetorical"

No, the question is unmedicated. What a tremendously rude and uncivil comment, a petty spite in the face of blessing and simple good news.

Aviel, I honestly do not know why you put with this woman. Your charity clearly exceeds my own.

9:14 a.m.  
Blogger Maggid Sarah said...

Mazel Tov Joel!! May you know nothing but peace and abundance in your new region of the world!!

5:15 p.m.  
Blogger Soferet said...

בס"ד
YAY & Barukh HaShem! Thanks, everyone, for your loving & supportive words!

Barefoot, I'm sorry, but I don't understand your question. I don't know your identity, nor do I know much about you.

I believe that when something good happens, it's important to feel grateful & express our gratitude. It's just good & healing for the soul.
:)

10:19 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay, mazal tov to you both - at long last ;)

6:22 p.m.  
Blogger Soferet said...

בס"ד
Todah, Alissa!
To be alive is to be taking a risk: & if there were no risk, there would be no need to be grateful.

6:34 p.m.  
Blogger Barefoot Jewess said...

jordan,

The question was rhetorical. I was having a majorly bitter personal moment that grieves me to no end, which had nothing to do with Joel's acceptance, which I find marvelous, and which I know was an arduous path.

I apologise to soferet for my poor choice of words.

11:41 a.m.  
Blogger Barefoot Jewess said...

And I aplogise to soferet for dumping on her, when she does not know me.

11:43 a.m.  
Blogger Barefoot Jewess said...

Oh, and I just reread all of my post.

The question was really about G-d being good- and what that means, and how that goodness is apportioned.

But I guess that was not clear in my comment.

11:45 a.m.  
Blogger Soferet said...

בס"ד
Thanks for your apologies, Barefoot - very much appreciated & warmly accepted.
I wasn't trying to make a statement about how G@d goes about apportioning good, it's just my practice to acknowledge blessings. I've found the tradition within Judaism of encouraging externally expressing gratitude for good things which come to us is a great tool to fight the poisons of hopelessness, jealousy & atheism.

5:37 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hits Since March 2, 2005!
Free Counter by Pliner.Net
dating, lasik,

Google