Netivat Sofrut: diary of a Soferet

Adventures of a female sofer learning to heal the world by doing Holy Work...writing a Sefer Torah

נחזיר את השכינה למקומה בצייון ובתבל כלה

"Let us restore the Divine In-Dwelling to Her Place in Zion & infuse Her spirit throughout the whole inhabited world."

So wherever we are, let us bring the Peace of G@d's Presence.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vancouver/London, British Columbia/UK, Canada

SCRIBAL EVANGELIST As the only living certified Soferet (סופרת - female Jewish ritual scribe) & the first woman to practice sofrut (creation of sacred Hebrew texts) in over 200 years, I feel an obligation to blog about my experiences of The Work. I am also currently researching the foundation of a lost tradtion of women practicing this holy craft. For more on the services I provide, please see Soferet.com; Sofrut Nation. I am now available to engage with students, male or female, wishing to enter into the preliminary stage of learning sofrut. You are welcome to join me on this path. "Tzedeq, tzedeq tir'dof - Justice, justice you shall pursue." Devarim/Deuteronomy 16:20.

Friday, October 21, 2005

UM...YOU'RE NOT ORTHODOX, ARE YOU...?

בס"ד

30 Tishrei

Yeah, that's what I get asked sometimes. It's an awkwardly worded question, awkwardly asked. But I try to make the best of it:
"Actually, yes, I am Orthodox, but I'm the user-friendly kind." I smile.

After that, everything goes swimmingly.

I've said it before & I'll say it again: I love Jews. I have respect for the choices which other Jews make which are different from my own, even when I don't understand how they made those choices. If G@d gave all humans free will, then who am I to hold others in contempt for thinking for themselves & exercising that G@d-given freedom? I may not agree with them, but I respect them nonethless.

Did I mention that my female student is not affiliated Orthodox?

My prayer for the Jewish People, is for us to not hate each other for our differences, for us to not make negative assumptions about each other, for us to not veneer other Jews who have made choices dissimilar to our own with our own prejudices & fears. Ameyn selah.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you come with a manual as well?! :)

7:31 p.m.  
Blogger Soferet said...

בס"ד
Oh, I wish! :)
No, sorry. I didn't say it was easy, but these are my ideals which I do my best to live by. Sometimes it's trickier than other times, but G@d willing, I behave appropriately.

8:36 p.m.  
Blogger Soferet said...

בס"ד
I agree with you, Jewropean. We're all human, none of us are G@d. So none of us can judge another nor know what it is that others ought to do. If we can't see into the hearts of our fellows, then we cannot truly advise them beyond a certain boundary.

12:11 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've done some heavy thinking on this, as a central-towards black hat Orthodox (whatever that means) B"T who started out "Traditional/Conservative."

Where I'm currently holding, is that my G-d is certainly capable of judging each person according to his/her system of belief. If you believe in a fiery Hell, and take steps to deserve it according to your belief system, well, then that's where you'll wind up. I, on the other hand, will not wind up in a Christian's idea of Hell for not believing in Jesus, since I am not a Christian.

But that means since I subscribe to halachic Judaism, that's the belief system I need to work within, and that's my path to a Kesher with Hashem.

It's sort of an outgrowth of 613 commandments for Jews/7 for non-Jews, and no one's asking you to switch sides, or trying to say one is "better:" Non-Jews have their own path to follow.

8:28 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jewropean, I do agree with you.

I see myself as an Orthodox Jewess in real life, but as a B"T when forced into confrontation with the non-Orthodox members of my family.

That's the distinction to me... that I don't have the same support from my mother as I would if she traveled the same path as I do. And I wouldn't need to tread so carefully when discussing the way I am raising my children with her, because a lot of the ways she did things with me won't work with Orthodox kids. I think she sees my way of life as a rejection of hers, instead as building on the foundation she gave me. It's a tricky path to walk, and that's the difference that being a B"T rather than an FFB makes to me.

3:37 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hits Since March 2, 2005!
Free Counter by Pliner.Net
dating, lasik,

Google