Netivat Sofrut: diary of a Soferet

Adventures of a female sofer learning to heal the world by doing Holy Work...writing a Sefer Torah

נחזיר את השכינה למקומה בצייון ובתבל כלה

"Let us restore the Divine In-Dwelling to Her Place in Zion & infuse Her spirit throughout the whole inhabited world."

So wherever we are, let us bring the Peace of G@d's Presence.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vancouver/London, British Columbia/UK, Canada

SCRIBAL EVANGELIST As the only living certified Soferet (סופרת - female Jewish ritual scribe) & the first woman to practice sofrut (creation of sacred Hebrew texts) in over 200 years, I feel an obligation to blog about my experiences of The Work. I am also currently researching the foundation of a lost tradtion of women practicing this holy craft. For more on the services I provide, please see Soferet.com; Sofrut Nation. I am now available to engage with students, male or female, wishing to enter into the preliminary stage of learning sofrut. You are welcome to join me on this path. "Tzedeq, tzedeq tir'dof - Justice, justice you shall pursue." Devarim/Deuteronomy 16:20.

Friday, January 13, 2006

FROM VAYECHI TO SH'MOT

בס"ד
13 Tevet


Breyshit/Sh'mot.jpg

Autumn 2004: The last line of Sefer B'reyshit/the Book of Genesis, Parshat Vayechi; followed by the first lines of Sefer Sh'mot/the Book of Exodus, Parshat Sh'mot. Held to my desk by the qeset (inkwell) I purchased in Me'ah She'arim.

5 Comments:

Blogger Steg (dos iz nit der šteg) said...

if it looks like there's a mistake there, should we assume you've already noticed and corrected it?

yay for torahs!

10:51 p.m.  
Blogger Soferet said...

בס"ד
Hi, Steg :)
Yes, you should, however I want to encourage everyone to say so if they spy a negi'ah (letters touching), spelling errors & the like...because we are only human after all, aren't we?
So thanks for asking!

12:05 a.m.  
Blogger Soferet said...

??"?
Hey - very cool blog, btw...I had no idea you were a cunning linguist. I'm an amateur myself. Always greatly admired those of you who devoted yourselves to that full-time.

12:10 a.m.  
Blogger Steg (dos iz nit der šteg) said...

Thanks!

Being a linguist is a way of life ;-) .

What i noticed was it looks like the ‘ayin in lo’ yada‘ et Yoseif is missing.

6:52 a.m.  
Blogger Soferet said...

בס"ד
You're exactly right. Since I wrote that over a year ago, it has since been double-checked by eyes other than my own. That's one of the Halakhot for Sifrei Torah, that they have to be throughly checked before they are even sewn together. Some say by eyes 3 times, others say by computer once. Either way, they must be kosher before their siyyum :)

I'm getting addicted to your blog - how will I ever get any work done today?!?

9:40 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hits Since March 2, 2005!
Free Counter by Pliner.Net
dating, lasik,

Google