Netivat Sofrut: diary of a Soferet

Adventures of a female sofer learning to heal the world by doing Holy Work...writing a Sefer Torah

נחזיר את השכינה למקומה בצייון ובתבל כלה

"Let us restore the Divine In-Dwelling to Her Place in Zion & infuse Her spirit throughout the whole inhabited world."

So wherever we are, let us bring the Peace of G@d's Presence.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vancouver/London, British Columbia/UK, Canada

SCRIBAL EVANGELIST As the only living certified Soferet (סופרת - female Jewish ritual scribe) & the first woman to practice sofrut (creation of sacred Hebrew texts) in over 200 years, I feel an obligation to blog about my experiences of The Work. I am also currently researching the foundation of a lost tradtion of women practicing this holy craft. For more on the services I provide, please see Soferet.com; Sofrut Nation. I am now available to engage with students, male or female, wishing to enter into the preliminary stage of learning sofrut. You are welcome to join me on this path. "Tzedeq, tzedeq tir'dof - Justice, justice you shall pursue." Devarim/Deuteronomy 16:20.

Saturday, February 25, 2006

THINK GLOBALLY...& ACT THAT WAY TOO

בס"ד
28 Sh'vat


I met a woman last night at Shabbes dinner whose job it was to build orphanages in Africa for children whose families had died of HIV/AIDS. She told me that by 2010 there would be 48 million orphans in sub-Saharan Africa & they would need a place to live.

This is unspeakably tragic.

Jews are commanded to apply our tzedakah/charitable obligations to all peoples in need, as acts of chesed/kindness promote peace in the world. Yeshayahu proclaims, "...& the act of tzedakah shall bring shalom" (Isaiah 32:17). So we must do something.

Last weekend when I was speaking at WIRED, I met a really sweet neshamah/soul named Joanne. She was from Winnipeg (Everybody from there is really nice. Seriously. The Barenaked Ladies are from Winnipeg) & selling these cute little brooch dolls made by families suffering from HIV/AIDS. This craft project allows them to retain their dignity by make a living while our wearing the brooches promotes the project. I bought one - they're only $5 CDN - for myself & one for my mum. Check here for more info.

& if this particular effort doesn't speak to you, by all means please find a way to help prevent the spread of this merciless plague. Save lives.

Shavu'ah tov - a good week...





Technorati tags: , , , ,, , , , , , , .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hits Since March 2, 2005!
Free Counter by Pliner.Net
dating, lasik,

Google