Netivat Sofrut: diary of a Soferet

Adventures of a female sofer learning to heal the world by doing Holy Work...writing a Sefer Torah

נחזיר את השכינה למקומה בצייון ובתבל כלה

"Let us restore the Divine In-Dwelling to Her Place in Zion & infuse Her spirit throughout the whole inhabited world."

So wherever we are, let us bring the Peace of G@d's Presence.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vancouver/London, British Columbia/UK, Canada

SCRIBAL EVANGELIST As the only living certified Soferet (סופרת - female Jewish ritual scribe) & the first woman to practice sofrut (creation of sacred Hebrew texts) in over 200 years, I feel an obligation to blog about my experiences of The Work. I am also currently researching the foundation of a lost tradtion of women practicing this holy craft. For more on the services I provide, please see Soferet.com; Sofrut Nation. I am now available to engage with students, male or female, wishing to enter into the preliminary stage of learning sofrut. You are welcome to join me on this path. "Tzedeq, tzedeq tir'dof - Justice, justice you shall pursue." Devarim/Deuteronomy 16:20.

Thursday, March 23, 2006

CAN'T TOUCH THIS!

בס"ד
24 Adar


Shalom rav - a great peace - to everyone!

Last summer I showed up, rather worse for wear after a cross-continental road trip in a tiny old car, at the 11th annual ALEPH Kallah this time held in Pennsylvania. As I wandered the common areas scanning for faces I only got to see every 2 years, I came upon a rabbi I knew. He was very glad to see me, & had the consciousness & respect to ask before he laid a hand on me, "Hey, Reb Aviel, do you shake? I don't even know."
I moved in. "I do", I whispered, "I just don't blog about it."

Smiling, we shook hands.

In the travels of our lives, if you & I ever meet & you happen to be male, please don't hug me. Even if you're gay. I'm sorry - it's not you, it's me; it's just that I don't hug strange men.

I am deeply grateful to be so warmly received by such a great many people: those who excitedly call out "Hey, Soferet! It's the Soferet!" out to me on the streets of Manhattan, those who come to events I'm hosting bearing gifts for me, & those who want to give me a big hug when we are introduced. So please don't get me wrong - I'm friendly, & I like hugs, only from women.

But if you offer your hand, I'll shake it. So watch out :)




Technorati tags: , , , ,, , , , , .

2 Comments:

Blogger Peter said...

Fair enough! I remember we shook hands last summer, and i remember the old car {grin}.

5:34 a.m.  
Blogger Soferet said...

בס"ד
Yes, alas, all that's long gone now :(
It was really terrific to meet you, Joyce, Em & the dawggie - did you ever get your film back? I sent it awhile ago. You were so kind & generous & very patient with our frenetic rush to Winnipeg before Shabbes. Thanks so much. You all were one of the highlights of that trip :)

3:01 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hits Since March 2, 2005!
Free Counter by Pliner.Net
dating, lasik,

Google