Netivat Sofrut: diary of a Soferet

Adventures of a female sofer learning to heal the world by doing Holy Work...writing a Sefer Torah

נחזיר את השכינה למקומה בצייון ובתבל כלה

"Let us restore the Divine In-Dwelling to Her Place in Zion & infuse Her spirit throughout the whole inhabited world."

So wherever we are, let us bring the Peace of G@d's Presence.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vancouver/London, British Columbia/UK, Canada

SCRIBAL EVANGELIST As the only living certified Soferet (סופרת - female Jewish ritual scribe) & the first woman to practice sofrut (creation of sacred Hebrew texts) in over 200 years, I feel an obligation to blog about my experiences of The Work. I am also currently researching the foundation of a lost tradtion of women practicing this holy craft. For more on the services I provide, please see Soferet.com; Sofrut Nation. I am now available to engage with students, male or female, wishing to enter into the preliminary stage of learning sofrut. You are welcome to join me on this path. "Tzedeq, tzedeq tir'dof - Justice, justice you shall pursue." Devarim/Deuteronomy 16:20.

Sunday, July 30, 2006

BEST. DAY. EVER.

BS"D
6 Av


Met with my Sofer, spent many hours with my friend Yehuda in his book bindery learning about different kinds of skins, qlaf repair & kosher parchment restoration. Acquired a bag of gall nuts with which to make d'yo (sofrut ink). Sorted through lockers full of sofrut supplies for my students at Pardes. Am now soaking quills ready for them to cut tomorrow. I am in Heaven. G@d is great.

Pictures at 11.


later...
No pictures of Sofer, as per his request that he remain unnamed & unimaged on my blog, but here's a shot of my fave book binder, Yehuda. He's the super-genius who bound the original (only) copy of David Moss' Haggadah!
Yehuda Miklaf, Bob Dylan, & Standing Press
Yehuda Miklaf, Bob Dylan, & Standing Press at Shalom Yehuda Press.

I quizzed Yehuda for literally hours about different materials applications in restoration & he pulled out all sorts of different kinds of hides & chemicals. I learned SO MUCH! You see, neither of the sofrim who taught me are so much into the restoration/Torah fixing biz, but Yehuda restores Sifrei Torah & 800-year-old books as well as knows the Halakhot/Jewish Law end of what is kosher & what is not to repair religious items, like our precious scrolls. I'll be spending much more time on this. Object: to become a Full-Service Soferet!

Then, I acquired a bag of gold at the end of some rainbow:
My Bag of Gold...I Mean Gall Nuts!
Actually, they're gall nuts, but they might as well be gold, considering how valuable & multi-useable they are. Please note turkey quills soaking in the background.
"Multi-useable"...is that a word?




Technorati tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so glad you are having such a good time. It does my heart good to know how deeply you love your work.

10:43 a.m.  
Blogger Soferet said...

BS"D
Barukh Ha-Shem, Rachel, barukh Ha-Shem!!!
:D

12:35 p.m.  
Blogger Soferet said...

BS"D
I like making you laugh :D
Yes, the path is smoothing, but not because of any of my efforts. It's all G@d.

12:04 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Multi-useable"...is that a word?
Multi-purpose?

1:33 a.m.  
Blogger Soferet said...

BS"D
Thank you, Simon :D
I'll remember that for next time. There must be something in the water...
...btw, it was completely lovely to meet your family at Shabbes dinner - THANK YOU!
Oh, & Yehuda & Maurene say hi - I didn't realize that you all knew each other, but I shouldn't be surprised...all the cool people do :D

2:00 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hits Since March 2, 2005!
Free Counter by Pliner.Net
dating, lasik,

Google