Netivat Sofrut: diary of a Soferet

Adventures of a female sofer learning to heal the world by doing Holy Work...writing a Sefer Torah

נחזיר את השכינה למקומה בצייון ובתבל כלה

"Let us restore the Divine In-Dwelling to Her Place in Zion & infuse Her spirit throughout the whole inhabited world."

So wherever we are, let us bring the Peace of G@d's Presence.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vancouver/London, British Columbia/UK, Canada

SCRIBAL EVANGELIST As the only living certified Soferet (סופרת - female Jewish ritual scribe) & the first woman to practice sofrut (creation of sacred Hebrew texts) in over 200 years, I feel an obligation to blog about my experiences of The Work. I am also currently researching the foundation of a lost tradtion of women practicing this holy craft. For more on the services I provide, please see Soferet.com; Sofrut Nation. I am now available to engage with students, male or female, wishing to enter into the preliminary stage of learning sofrut. You are welcome to join me on this path. "Tzedeq, tzedeq tir'dof - Justice, justice you shall pursue." Devarim/Deuteronomy 16:20.

Thursday, July 20, 2006

MINI SOFRUT CONVENTION

בס"ד
24 Tamuz


I watched the sun rise over Ireland this morning & caught a glimpse of a constellation shaped like an Angel fish.

G@d is great.

Found myself wondering if mead really needs a hekasher (kosher certification). It's just honey, water & yeast, so if the honey is kosher...

I checked my e-mail at Heathrow to find out whether Marc & I would be meeting & also to fire off an all-clear to Mum (I don't want her to worry). You'll find a link to Marc's site on my blogroll - it's probably the best sofrut site on the Web, & one I've been following for years. After his spread in Letter Arts Review Volume 19, Issue 2 which came out about a year & a half ago, I decided to connect. We've had a very pleasant professional e-relationship since.

Marc was good enough to come out to meet me, so here we are together at Heathrow:
Sofer-Soferet

We had a terrific visit. We talked shop , shared a couple of laughs & I'm so pleased to have met him. Thus the First Annual Canada-UK Sofrut Mini Convention closed.

After Marc left I settled into a corner to read "Bee Season", by Myla Goldberg. Charming novel. I think the chair I was sitting in was one I sat in over 25 years ago on my first trip to England. Heathrow's Terminal 1 was my first experience of a huge airport. It hasn't changed a bit: the bombed El Al counter, the new El Al counter, the multiple men in navy & black sporting automatic weapons & flack jackets. Just a taste of what I'll be surrounded by in Israel...

I've decided that I'm not going to reset the time on this blog until I actually get to Jerusalem. Messing about with time zones is crazy-making.




Technorati tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .

5 Comments:

Blogger Evenewra said...

You may always want to look into the rumor that Bailey's Irish Cream is Kosher in Europe...

12:23 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, what A. said! I forgot Bailey's is (was?) on the list of acceptable booze in the UK! Bring some back, 'k? ;)

btw, you might like to know - when we first started with the Megilat Esther project, Mordechai (Marc) was one of the first of the Sofrim I emailed to show support for the project and to confirm that you were likely setting a precedent. I wonder if he's put 2+2 together and realized I was emailing him about you?!

6:03 p.m.  
Blogger Soferet said...

בס"ד
Oh, riiiiiiight, I totally forgot about that! Thanks for reminding me!

Yeah, sure, I'll pick some up in Heathrow on my way back in August. & I guess you'll be picking me up at the airport when I get home, won't you, Alissa ;)

Hey, did I know you'd been in touch with Marc? I don't remember! Well, that's cool - he's very knowledgeable & professional & I'm sure he was of some help to you!

7:14 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

heh, we can pick you up with or without the Bailey's (but we might actually park and meet you at baggage claim if you bring it, instead of making you wait for us outside :) )

I mentioned Marc to you way back when, and I think you said you knew who he was, or had been in touch with him, or something like that. But that was waaay back when. I think you might have even still been in Israel?

8:15 p.m.  
Blogger Soferet said...

בס"ד
Ok, it's a date - I'll bring kosher UK Bailey's & you pick me up at baggage claim!

& when I was last in Israel I had already been following & admiring Marc's site, but I hadn't contacted him yet - not until about a year & a half ago.

10:24 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hits Since March 2, 2005!
Free Counter by Pliner.Net
dating, lasik,

Google