Netivat Sofrut: diary of a Soferet

Adventures of a female sofer learning to heal the world by doing Holy Work...writing a Sefer Torah

נחזיר את השכינה למקומה בצייון ובתבל כלה

"Let us restore the Divine In-Dwelling to Her Place in Zion & infuse Her spirit throughout the whole inhabited world."

So wherever we are, let us bring the Peace of G@d's Presence.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vancouver/London, British Columbia/UK, Canada

SCRIBAL EVANGELIST As the only living certified Soferet (סופרת - female Jewish ritual scribe) & the first woman to practice sofrut (creation of sacred Hebrew texts) in over 200 years, I feel an obligation to blog about my experiences of The Work. I am also currently researching the foundation of a lost tradtion of women practicing this holy craft. For more on the services I provide, please see Soferet.com; Sofrut Nation. I am now available to engage with students, male or female, wishing to enter into the preliminary stage of learning sofrut. You are welcome to join me on this path. "Tzedeq, tzedeq tir'dof - Justice, justice you shall pursue." Devarim/Deuteronomy 16:20.

Sunday, September 24, 2006

HAPPY 5767!

BS"D


A while back, the dude at ChaiSpace asked me to design a font for him that would be for use by MySpace users & all over the net. So I rose to the occasion - an honour is, after all, an honour. Here's the first half (in rough):
Qeset Ha-Soferet font 1

& here's the second (again, it's rough - a few imperfections here & there):
Qeset Ha-Soferet font 2

I call it "Qeset Ha-Soferet", which means Inkwell of the Soferet. I've named it after my fave volume of Sofrut Halakhah (scribal laws).

...& this is what it looks like as a ChaiSpace greeting:
Jewish stuff at ChaiSpace!

Shiny, isn't it?
It also comes in gold without the glitter, here.

It's been such a thrill to get comments & e-mails at my MySpace page wishing me a good & sweet & blessed New Year in my own font!
YAY!

Much gratitude to Brian (& G@D) at ChaiSpace for his idea & hard work, & for letting me know about all the positive feedback Qeset Ha-Soferet has garnered.




Technorati tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a beautiful font (and I saw it first used elsewhere, not knowing you'd designed it).

In your photos, I found it momentarily disconcerting to have the letters be in alphabetical order from left to right, though.

6:19 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, congrats on your very own font! :) Actually, I like the glitter. Kind of makes the dove's wings look like they're fluttering...
Yasher koach!

4:39 p.m.  
Blogger Talmida said...

Very cool, Avielah! Congratulations!

6:18 a.m.  
Blogger Soferet said...

BS"D
Hi, Magid - really? You saw my font somewhere other than this blog & Myspace? Where?

What can I say about the letter order? - they're drawings. Besides, the first 4 languages I learned as a kid (English, French, Latin & Norwegian, in that order) use the left-to-right moving latin alphabet. Well, not all Norwegian characters are Latin, but you get my drift.

Thanks, Alissa! Nice thought about the dove wings, too :D

10:07 a.m.  
Blogger Soferet said...

BS"D
Thanks, Talmida :)

10:08 a.m.  
Blogger Soferet said...

BS"D
Yeah, pretty cool, eh?
It's nice to finally see one of my font designs published (I've designed a few before, all copyrighted, including the one at the bottom of this shot - it's called "Navi").

10:33 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hits Since March 2, 2005!
Free Counter by Pliner.Net
dating, lasik,

Google