Netivat Sofrut: diary of a Soferet

Adventures of a female sofer learning to heal the world by doing Holy Work...writing a Sefer Torah

נחזיר את השכינה למקומה בצייון ובתבל כלה

"Let us restore the Divine In-Dwelling to Her Place in Zion & infuse Her spirit throughout the whole inhabited world."

So wherever we are, let us bring the Peace of G@d's Presence.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vancouver/London, British Columbia/UK, Canada

SCRIBAL EVANGELIST As the only living certified Soferet (סופרת - female Jewish ritual scribe) & the first woman to practice sofrut (creation of sacred Hebrew texts) in over 200 years, I feel an obligation to blog about my experiences of The Work. I am also currently researching the foundation of a lost tradtion of women practicing this holy craft. For more on the services I provide, please see Soferet.com; Sofrut Nation. I am now available to engage with students, male or female, wishing to enter into the preliminary stage of learning sofrut. You are welcome to join me on this path. "Tzedeq, tzedeq tir'dof - Justice, justice you shall pursue." Devarim/Deuteronomy 16:20.

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

PLAY NICE. DON'T HIT. SHARE.

BS"D


Thank G@d, my trip to St Louis was uneventful & I landed safe & sound in the arms of B'nai Amoona. I had the honour of sharing dinner with R' Dr Neal Rose & Max & Susan Brown tonight, then dropped off at my host family's home. They're totally lovely & I can see I'll be very well taken care of on this trip, barukh Ha-Shem.

I'm really looking forward to restoring their precious Sifrei this week, IY"H. & I learned so much more in Israel about kosher Torah repair - SO excited to apply my new techniques!

Other than the above (which is great), this is not a happy post.

This is a really odd time, information-wise. A strange article appeared in St Louis Today last week, with quite a few inaccuracies. It's not really surprising, since the reporter called my mother at home in her sick bed & interviewed her, but did not contact me.
I e-mailed the editor, offering corrections & mentioned how weird all this was, since I'm ALL OVER the internet & easy to e-mail. I also thought it was kind of creepy that he would hunt my Mum down at all. Mr Editor has not responded.

& the person who I mentioned in this post is also talking me down on Jewschool.

I'm very concerned about the narrowing of Halakhic Judaism. Very concerned.
To use oppresive Halakhah in an attempt to curb women's lives is an abuse of power. By stemming social change, those in authority are ignoring derekh eretz ("the way of the land", ie common civil rights taken for granted in countries such as Canada) as well as the valid expression of women's relationship with G@d. Women should be able to choose the extent to which we are willing to engage in the public sphere, choose our work, whether we marry, have children & men should not have a veto. Don't use Torah to rationalize un-Jewish treatment of others. You have an obligation to pursue justice. Don't exclude the perspective of those outside your very closed circle. Are you willing to risk cutting half of all Jewry off from our drawing closer to The Holy One through the fulfillment of mitzvot?

OK, that's today's rant.
Thanks for reading!




Technorati tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .

4 Comments:

Blogger Lori said...

Avielah,

I just checked a yahoo email account that I don't use often and found in it 2 automated messages (like away from my desk type messages) from you indicating that you would respond to my messages (apparently) when you were able. The thing is that I haven't sent you any email messages, and specifically haven't sent you any email messages from my yahoo account (which is listed generically on my blogspot blog as my contact email). I think someone may be playing with both of us. I'm not sure how they accomplished it (hacking my yahoo email account), but nevertheless, I did not send you any email messages. There are no messages in my "sent" file to indicate anything was sent from me to you either. The last email in my "sent" box is a response I sent to Reb Qoton in answer to a message he sent to me. Just FYI.

12:40 a.m.  
Blogger Soferet said...

BS"D
Well, that's extremely creepy. I haven't received any e-mails from you, according to the contents of my inbox, so I have no idea what's going on.
Oy.
Thanks for the heads up, Liorah. Appreciate it.

4:53 a.m.  
Blogger Jordan Stratford+ said...

I linked to this article on my blog, as an example of "orthodoxy in action", meaning one can walk a fairly tight path and still have room to dance.

And honestly I didn't think that newspaper article was all that bad, really.

5:02 p.m.  
Blogger Soferet said...

BS"D
Thanks for the link, Jordy :)
No, it wasn't that bad, but as a person deeply engaged with minutae (Halakhah, sofrut, the perfect cup of white tea...), I tend to focus on incorrect details. It's a forte & hobby of mine ;)

9:01 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hits Since March 2, 2005!
Free Counter by Pliner.Net
dating, lasik,

Google